The research is very clear but the evidence is also incredibly powerful.
The research suggests that we need to:
- Do a lot of world of work activities and the more the better;
- Be authentic and keep it real and connected to the world of work;
- Do different things; mentoring, enterprise, careers, work experience, talks etc;
- Start young and work from primary age;
- Be coercive since young people 'don't know what they don't know';
- Be professional and maintain high quality activity and impartial careers advice and guidance;
- Ask young people what they think about what you offer!!
- employers see the real value of the programme;
- getting young people into the world of work is life-changing;
- we need to change school perceptions of the world of work;
- we need to change parents and carers perceptions of the world of work;
- relationships between young people and employers are hugely important;
- sustained long-term programmes work best;
- the world of work is changing fast and we need to keep up!